Saturday, September 5, 2009

Snip


Alysia is moving to FLA next week, so I hit her up for a final bit of hair styling today. It was funny, sad and mysterious, The only people in the salon were her, her friend – a bra-less blond in a white t-shirt, and me. The sound system was blasting 80’s music, normally a good thing, but I changed the channel.

To make a long story short, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros was eventually boom blasting through the speakers. We listened to the song “Home” 3 times in a row until we could sing the song together.

[Her]
Moats and boats and waterfalls,

Alley-ways and pay phone calls,
I've been everywhere with you.



[Him:]

We laugh until we think we’ll die,

Barefoot on a summer night

Nothin’ new is sweeter than with you



[Her:]

And in the streets you run afree,

Like it's only you and me,
Geeze, you're something to see.

[Both:]

Ahh Home. Let me go home.

Home is wherever I'm with you.

Ahh Home.
Let me go ho-oh-ome.

Home is wherever I'm with you.


Tears were shed and smiles were beamed. The small scene segued into a somewhat sunny clamorous commotion and my heart is now three times the size it was yesterday.

She's been a wonderful friend for four years. That's almost a record for me. Thankfully, she's leaving with a clean snip, rather than a jagged complication. That portends friendship long into the future. That is what I like. That is what I value.

Bittersweet is the emotion I feel. I'm so happy for her, but I will miss her. I watched her smoke a cigarette like it was gonna be her last.

My hair is very relaxed tonight.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, all of the mushy stuff aside- why in the heck does she want to move to Florida? I can't wait to leave the place. ~Ann {7inflorida who wants to be in Colorado}.

Joe said...

I had an urge to have my hair cut today, too. So I did. Not styled, though... the $10 cuts at Hair Core aren't exactly style-worthy. Just a trim is all.

I had never heard of that band, PK. So I just checked that song out on YouTube. Wow, great sound. I'm hooked. I'm downloading their entire album. You know all the good music these days.

Rock on!

Ann- My sister and bro-in-law just spent a week in Florida scoping out possible places to call home. It was too depressing down there for them, so they decided to just "stay in Jersey" for now. I think they made a good choice. For now.

Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.