Monday, June 7, 2010

4 Kellys


The next day was spent in the Pacific paddling out and riding until my rash guard had a rash and I decided I had enough with the 9’ fiberglass longboard, which seemed to start weighing about 200 lbs and ending up at about 400 lbs. I opted for an 8’ epoxy with three fins. Much lighter and steerable. Stayed out until my skin was nicely exposed to Vitamin D and glowing with health and vigor.

After this pleasant repetition of dunking my body in ocean water as warm as the 85 degree air, I made my way back to the resort and promptly began drinking a beer. Next thing I knew I was sitting at a table with 8 Canadians eating buffet stuff and drinking free wine. Most of them were making their way back to the north part of North America the next day (including the Judds.) But they introduced me to a couple, Monique and Johan, on a pseudo vacation/2nd honeymoon. I convinced Johan to take a surfing lesson. He loved it. The weird thing about the eight Canadians is that 4 of them were named Kelly. So, of course, I got names wrong, even with a 50/50 chance. Those Canadians sure can drink, though. Rumor has it one of the Kellys puked in the bushes on the way back to his room.

Score one for the American who surfed, sunned, wandered through Tamarindo, dined, drank, and slept like a baby.

No comments: