Teenage Fanclub
Xxxx,
That email you sent was epic. I can’t address everything in
one response, but here is my reply. My hope is that we can have a continuing
conversation.
I’ve been working in the city for the past decade. My
profession is, and had been since college, medical advertising. I write snappy headlines and copy to sell
pharmaceuticals.
In a grand miscalculated equation, it seemed as a way to
define myself.
The writing came easy. It’s in the family genetics. But don’t
even ask how I learned the science. The mystery is beyond all but a chemistry
teacher at HHS. Mrs. Grocott once kindly gave me a B instead of a C on my
report card because I drew a picture of a stick-figure cat instead of answering
a question on a test. Somehow, drawing
that cat as a 16-year old tilted the deck in my favor. I’m still drawing stick
figure cats.
Anyway, as to how I got to NYC… I was living in Red Bank, NJ
and sacrificing 4 hours a day to ride trains to and from the city. It gave me time to read a lot, but I could
feel the leeching of time in in a micro and macro sense. So I quit my job,
packed my surfboard, and travelled to Mexico, Costa Rica, Jamaica, and Antigua.
After my grand tour of the tropics, I came home and chilled
at the beach for a year. My girlfriend,
Lynn, had a place in the city and would visit on weekends. An apartment in her building opened up and I
took it to be closer to her and where the business is.
But I’ve painted myself into a corner. At the age of 45, I’m
disgusted with the professional path I committed to 20 years ago. It’s not exactly the writing gig I, or my
professors had in mind.
I decided to get in touch because of a dream. All my friends
had died and I was the only one at the funeral. I was surrounded in a
Mandelbrot set of spiraling caskets. I awoke sweating, feeling weak in the haze
of the heat. I remembered you and how much laughter and drama and fun and
teenage closeness we had in such a concentrated touch of time.
After that dream, and after I reached out to you, a great
friend of mine killed himself. He jumped off a cliff at Rockefeller Lookout at
Palisades Interstate Park. He was suffering greatly from MS. It broke me, Xxxx.
We are — here on out — going to be losing more friends than
we gain. Let’s at least keep in touch with the one’s we truly have.
PK
No comments:
Post a Comment