Embarrassed

Maybe some are wondering why I (seemingly) randomly invoked a 23-year-old song in my most recent entry.
It was out of shame.
I was referring to "Up On the Catwalk" (still a fucking great song if you've seen it live in Edinburgh with a bunch of Trainspotting extras and toothpick-thin models going nuts on White China, jeez that was a weird night) but was hiding my take on "Don't You Forget About Me." Both are from the same era of a dead band. The forensics are fascinating.
My agency—the place where I work, the people with whom I work—took what was once a cool teenage anthem and turned it into a marketing abomination.
For, of all things, an attempt to make you shop at JC Penny’s.
Ugh. Google it. It’s horrid.
Why did I think this place was cool?
I need something new. I need something fresh. I need something malleable.
But with the same salary and cool-looking business card.
Yeah, I’m just like you.
I want everything from life.
Do you settle for less?
2 comments:
"fucking cauldron of magic spicy beef."
Ya.... I know that's from the other entry but I really like the way it rolls off of the tongue (sp?).
Anyway.
JC Penny's is pretty horid but it doesn't make your job any less cool. It just gives it character. Remember, PK, the back drop of your life is amazing. Somehow, I don't see you ever settling
I saw that JC Penney commercial and thought "Man this ad sucks in every way..." First, they ruined a classic song... second, who is their target market? A teenage girl will have no idea of this song, and any self-respecting teenager wouldn't be caught dead shopping at JC Penney in the first place. The ad was most likely conjured up by a late 30-something psuedo-hipster who's grasping at straws to revisit his youth via a John Hughes script.
Shermer, Illinois, mang... Shermer, Illinois...
Rock on!
Post a Comment