Black

If I remember correctly, this was her fave song.
Very high school year book.
But well-suited for that time and place. She used to whisper the last three lines all the time.
That, now that I think of it, might explain a thing or eleventy bizillion.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay
Her legs spread out before me as her body once did
All five horizons revolved around her soul
As the earth to the sun
Now the air I tasted and breathed has taken a turn
Ooh, and all I taught her was everything
Ooh, I know she gave me all that she wore
And now my bitter hands chafe beneath the clouds
Of what was everything?
Oh, the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed Everything...
I take a walk outside
I'm surrounded by some kids at play
I can feel their laughter, so why do I sear
Oh, and twisted thoughts that spin round my head
I'm spinning, oh, I'm spinning
How quick the sun can, drop away
And now my bitter hands cradle broken glass
Of what was everything
All the pictures have all been washed in black, tattooed everything...
All the love gone bad turned my world to black
Tattooed all I see, all that I am, all I'll be...yeah...
Uh huh...uh huh...ooh...
I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star
In somebody else's sky, but why, why, why
Can't it be, can't it be mine
Can you name that tune?
6 comments:
Icky... reminds me of my psycho ex that I put in jail for stalking me. {Black /old Pearl Jam.}
Btw, don't get excited- anonymous= me, Ann.
Yeah, what you just said was kind of what I was getting at. But in a slightly more forgiving way.
I think we get the essence of it, though.
And BTW, it's always exciting when Ann tiptoes down the hallway of anonymity, no matter how she frames it.
This song bears significance, although somewhat trivial, in my life, too. Probably does for many.
This album had just been released, and I was in college, and a girl I was dating would play this when we were fucking.
This is track 5. It would begin playing around the 20-minute mark. You'd think it wouldn't be such a good song to fuck to, but it was actually pretty good... the intensity was fitting and appropriate.
The last track on the album is titled "Release", which contained its own "hidden track" at 5:20, called "Master/Slave". Hmmmm...
I don't know where this post is heading, but even though our eventual break-up was quite... traumatic, for at least one of us, we remained "friends" and kept in touch and even saw each other off and on in social situations with other friends for about 14 years after college.
Then, last year, after my first child was born (with my wife, not with her), she of marathon college-fucking sessions, abruptly decided to cut all ties with me. Everything and anything that gave us any sort of connection, she severed the cord with guillotine-like swiftness and precision.
The human condition is absolutely phenomenal.
That was deep, Joe. ~A.
Dude, seriously. That hit home.
Post a Comment