Better than Leno, and I'll gladly chat
Never thought it would evolve this way.
I received my first invite to be on a talk show this week.
But it has nothing to do with writing, advertising, drinking, drugs, sports,
video games, music, surfing, sneakers, or clothes.
It’s for organizing. (The hamper of my mind has officially
blown a gasket.)
Go figure. This king of hoarder-bordering before I made the
move to NYC became a model of modest materialism. Before I moved, I junked
about two-thirds of my possessions.
I saved the books and the writing. Got rid of tons of
t-shirts and caps, old furniture, stuff with dust on it, etc.
I moved in to this new place with a fresh, but still crowded
start. So I got rid of more. Tons more. Memorabilia, computer hardware, entire
stereos.
I then called upon the services of an organizational
consultant. Going from 1,500 ft. to 800 ft., is not easy on one’s
possessions. But I did it. And as a result garnered the attention of one
of the most prominent organizers in the NYC area. Plus her cousin is an actress
famous for her nasal voice.
I invited her over for a consultation a few months after I
made my home here and she felt more impressed than compelled-to-compartmentalize.
She admired me for a willingness to
abandon junk for open space.
She even helped me keep stuff. She saw potential in what I
grouchily held onto. She read my writing—some of it, anyway. She commanded me
to not discard rare personal treasures. We crated “Dummies Guide To ______”
books to the bin.
She recognized the value of my rare drum set. She knew my
Strat was a rare guitar. She was familiar with the fact that my piano had
heirloom potential.
Plus, she saw that I have closets larger than many NY apts. That, in and of itself, is in keeping with the discarding of luggage essential to becoming upwardly mobile/philosophically free (see Robert DeNiro's climb up the falls with the indigenous and the Jesuits in the movie The Mission for reference.)
Now she wants me to testify on her new radio show. I think I’ll
help her out. She can cut my armor free any day.
Watch The Mission for a clue for where I hope my point will go during the interview.
Watch The Mission for a clue for where I hope my point will go during the interview.
1 comment:
Cool!
Post a Comment