Hip Side Crash
So, I’m
hanging out in my apt, fresh off another fight with my girlfriend—nothing bad,
it happens a lot with her, she’s cool—when I decide to go to the wine bar down
the street to try a new Belgian blanc and talk to my friends, who happen to
tend the bar.
I’m walking
WITH the light on 68th St when out of nowhere, headlights flood my
vision. In a flash I take a defensive position, as if guarding against an
explosion. Before I can get down, and while in the street, I feel the steel of
momentum hitting me almost right on my left ass. I look up just in time—in slow
motion, mind you—to see an old Subaru wagon engulfing me while hearing a deafening
screech. The wagon stopped. My ass was on the fender. A 17-year old dude was
behind the wheel. He had the good grace to lower the hip-hop from volume 12
down to 4 while he got out of the car begging me not to tell his Mom. I hop off
the hood, straighten my tie and jacket and make sure my phone and wallet are
where they’re supposed to be. Everything is in place. The only thing out of
place is this little kid’s dignity. And, temporarily, my sense of direction.
Rumor has it that my girlfriend is warming to me at the wine bar, ultimately to
my right. North. I walk around his car, more to make sure I’m not broken than
anything else, and then give him the speech:
“Jersey
Plates? Yo, bro, no right on red in the city. How did you get this far into
town? Don’t you know that everyone from Jersey or Connecticut practices city
driving in the daytime or nighttime, but never during showtime?” Then, “Where
the hell are you going on 67th and Amsterdam, anyway? There is
literally nothing here but two bodegas, an Apple Store and a Duane Reade.”
Turns out
he’s lost. Thinks he’s going south on the eastside. I told him to make a U-turn
onto Broadway and don’t stop until you hit water. And if you see the Statue of
Liberty, make a left.
Dealt out
all this good advice and good karma. Could have had him busted in so many ways
(weed, booze, underage, friends, etc…) But I was that dude once. Though never
in a car during showtime with contraband.
All I have
to show for it is a huge purple bruise on my left hip. Close enough to my ass
that I can say I broke my ass this weekend to help a little dude find his way
around a logical grid (until the Village, of course.) And if you see a woman
holding a torch for me, tell her I’m still on my way.
No comments:
Post a Comment