Forrest through the turkey
I think that watching Forrest Gump on Thanksgiving Night is becoming as much a tradition as watching Detroit and Dallas NFL on Thanksgiving Day. Not to mention turkey.
WWFD? The movie is all about the naivety that comes with giving thanks. Or the thanks that comes from naivety. Or the wishes that come with a year’s worth of thank yous.
I track different themes everytime I watch it. Sometimes it’s Forrest and Jenny. Sometimes it’s Forrest and Bubba. Sometimes it’s Forrest and Lt. Dan.
Sometimes it’s just the unforgettable frankness of the words. Bubba’s last words: “I wanna go home.” The matter of fact notion that absorbs the ideological sting of all past. Yet...
The first time I saw it, I was still in my 20’s, dating the third girl everyone thought would end up marrying me. Ha ha. Nope. Actually I saw it with her and her best friend. Her best friend at that time was a friend's sister. Can we count to three?
Her brother ratted me out later that decade. Am I a victim of, or an evoker of karma? He was a good brother, but a bad friend. Where the laid line is drawn!
God help some of you if I have any sense of the evocative.
I always wondered why they were almost inseparable until later that summer. And people wonder why I have complicated break-ups.
Break-ups, as are come togethers, are in direct proportion to sex life. Duh.
And that's all I have to say about that.
American Candide. To be published soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment