Saturday, December 8, 2007

Define Future Happiness



I spoke with a good friend last night.

We were supposed to go out, get bombed, and see the Rockefeller Center Tree. Just for shits and giggles. But we were both toast after this week. So we postponed.

She is uneasy about taking a promotion because she is happy with what she is currently doing.

She said she was happy. I said, in many more words, What? You’re happy? No one is happy.

But I encouraged her to not only move forward, but to aggressively negotiate for more compensation.

She should. She is incredibly talented, possessing an eye for design that few have.

Few regret moving forward.

I’ve seen her apartment. For a small place, it looms large. She has a uniquely creative esthetic, one that is enviable. I’ve seen her publication. Her part rocks, she should have more influence over the final output. She is a beaming diamond among dusty tumbleweeds. She is beautiful, smart as a whip, and funny.

She should take the promotion, because it’s easy to muse, then wonder about retreating. But she should go forward, with determination, first.

She is not just someone who is good at her job. She is talented. Gifted, even. The kind of talent that makes the masses happy.

It felt good talking to her. I wonder how she felt talking to me.

No comments: