Up stream, II

We walked against a rip tide of humans who were pouring in to the stadium with a voracity that would rival the hedonism of a orgy of horny pornstars trying to enter the same orifice. When I say that, I mean that’s what we were working against, not with. As if.
We found our way, eventually, to Gate B and re-entered the security meat-grinder. This time, they let us in and I realized that 70,000 people were watching me. Kind of. These are the type of thoughts that race through a stoned person as they enter a stadium and emerge at a well-lit spot in view of 70,000 people. I was the guy with the spikey blond hair, beard, blue Hollister shirt and Mark Nason boots wearing vintage 2007 RayBan sunglasses. In other words, I was the dickhead rockstar going to a real rockstar concert.
Within 10 minutes of entering the stadium and finding a cool spot, the concert started. Here’s the set list:
Wrecking Ball
Out In The Street
Outlaw Pete
Hungry Heart
BORN TO RUN – album, start to finish. Seeing this made my year.
Waiting On A Sunny Day
Hard To Be A Saint In The City
My Love Will Not Let You Down – Max is an awesome drummer. Take it from another drummer…
Because The Night
Human Touch – Meh
Lonesome Day - Cool
The Rising
- very cool. I saw this 2001 narrative unveil in the same time and place as the song’s author. So I have that going for me.
Badlands – Perhaps my fave Bruce song live next to Sandy or Rosie.
No Surrender
4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) Dedicated to Danny - Big smile from me. My equivalent would be 4th of August, Belmar (Christine), but the sentiment resounds.
Bobby Jean – Ode to Stevie
American Land – This one was kinda new on me. The fireworks were cool. I think.
Dancing In The Dark – Boring, but as the song was winding down he picked up a sign from a fan that read, “ROSIE!”
Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) – The very best song that all people need to see played live in order to live a complete life. This song never fails to make me feel like I’m 16 and at my first Bruce show. The stadium rocked. Moved, shifted. Even the newbies loved it. This was the bonding song. This is why my ears are still ringing. This is why I have friends and tinnitus and eat food and first had the inspiration to write words. This was life support. This is why we all sing songs together.
Twist & Shout – Ferris could have played it and no one would have minded. Rosie was the rare earth gift surrounded by diamonds presented in a velvet box.
Getting home is a whole ‘nother story. For another day.
1 comment:
I'm really happy that you had a GREAT tine. Now I'm singing some of those songs. Anne
Post a Comment