Vamos a jugar con la playa
I saw Bruce about a month ago knowing he was going to play Born to Run as a full set. Bruce bookends his sets with surprises, though. That’s how he gets goosebumps out of the crowd—by playing Rosie right after Jungleland.
This show was different. First of all, it didn’t take place in a concrete cereal bowl full of 80,000 people. It took place on a small stage in front of about 2,000 clued in fans starving for a different form of nostalgia. Something more akin to rebirth—not an acknowledgement of what had happened before—more like a revisit to some friends who no one fully appreciated at their peak. We thought The Pixies would be here forever to wrap our brains in Christmas tree lights. Turned out this was looking more and more like a last flicker of a tiny blue flame.
Second of all, I wasn’t baked out of my brain for some reason. I definitively imbibed more, but since I finished working for awhile I think I’m building up a resistance. The X might have had something to do with it, too. I didn’t have any urge to drink or smoke up, though the occasional Newport had me virtually writhing in menthol ecstasy.
I was offered a few lines but declined. Thou shalt not mix X and snow, lest your libido become an unpredictable blizzard. You’ll also end up with a blazing headache and a raging boner the next day—not a pleasant combo if you want to sleep, get laid, or all of the above.
They played Doolittle in its entirety, B sides included as well as the surf version of Wave of Mutilation. I felt old, and I think the band did, too. Francis was in fine voice. Joey was shy. David was thrashing. Kim was a goddess. There were some youngin’s there trying to mosh, but nothing much came of it.
All in all, it was like traveling through a time portal back to Boston circa 1989. The X and weed helped. But nothing could bring me back to those days of first discovering them via the purple cassette. That tape has long since been chewed by an old Toyota Celica I still have never forgiven for dining on my first beloved Pixies album and losing its transmission in one horrid day back in 1992. I finally realized after the show that it was time to move on. To where, I don’t know. Lucky for me, I have a wide open future.

2 comments:
Here's looking at YOU! Anne
Allow me to add an adjunct to that last finely crafted comment: I've seen The Pixies twice. Once in 1989 after a Red Sox game at Fenway, in a bar not too far from the stadium--euphoria in my book, and this past week. I've seen Nirvana. I got back stage at a Pearl Jam show with Kate Moss. I smoked a fatty with Mudhoney. I've bought CDs with Bruce. I've stage dived at a Ned's Atomic Dustbin show. I saw the Feelies about 10 times. Tip of the iceberg. If you want to call me a bitch, go for it ;-). I just live life without limitations. Whether it be a rubber room or a red carpet, I'll spin it into something rare.
Post a Comment