Saturday, September 13, 2008

What did I know?


I asked someone not to look back. As if I were a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac.

(Take into account, this is pretty much all in reference to a Jean-Baptiste video...) And that my birthday is not this coming Monday, but the next. 22.






The following reference for the above mentioned pulse of memory will delight my friend, Lauren...though I am not or never was a "Deadhead"...and am a part of a generation distantly disconnected with the as about to be mentioned influence...


Wiki:
(After a mid-way instrumental break is perhaps the song's most famous lyric: "Out on the road today I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac." This image of once-countercultural Deadheads driving establishment status symbol Cadillacs immediately connected with Henley's age group, and neatly encapsulated the song's feelings of loss and aging.[original research?] It is rumored that this line was inspired by Henley seeing Joe Walsh driving a Cadillac with a Deadhead sticker on it while on Sunset Boulevard.[citation needed])


In a 1987 interview with Rolling Stone, Henley explained that the song is more about nostalgia, and questioning the past[1]—a recurring theme in Henley's lyrics (cf. The End of the Innocence, and Taking You Home)

The music video to "The Boys of Summer" is a French New Wave-influenced piece directed by Jean-Baptiste Mondino. Shot completely in black-and-white, it shows the 'main character' of the song at three different stages of life (as a young boy, a young adult and middle-aged), in each case reminiscing about the past relationship. This is shown during the line "A little voice inside my head said don't look back, you can never look back" at which point, each of the three people look back in turn.

No comments: