Friday, January 9, 2009

Ahh, the memories are priceless...


Here’s a little snippet from the early 2004 catalogue. Just found it on my dresser while readying my bedroom for the big hotel mattress/sleigh bed delivery. I remember that the pencil I used to write this was noticeably dull…Enjoy!



Dear K_____,

I mooched a pencil and some paper from one of the people who work here. They gave me sleeping pills, but they don’t really work on me. That’s why I’m up writing you an old-fashioned letter.

I wish I could be anywhere in the world right now but here. This is the last place I need to be. Being home with Lefty right now is what will help me deal with things the most.

Many of the people who work here are pretty nasty. These people actually think I would hurt myself. It’s not like I’ve lost any will to live. Not even close. But explaining things to them is a lost cause. They hear what they want to hear. All I wanna do is go home. Keeping me at this place only makes me more anxious. They don’t realize that here.

Tanzanian Chestnut Tarantula in a plastic food tub
baby blonde-leg tarantula in a potato salad deli cup.

“The hairs of the Mexican blonde tarantula are adopted to irritate only the nasal passages of the grasshopper mouse—a job they do so well that can kill the rodent.”—Discover Magazine, Feb., 2004

A nurse said to me tonight, “Honey, I don’t know what you did, but I bet you looked good doing it. Eye candy, we’re gonna keep you here.”

Mind as a cheese
Velveta as a word
Scrabble tile as a wallflower
Still, I’m the first to ask for a dance

Every minute you keep me here is another minute you delay my recovery.

Regards,

-me

4 comments:

Ann said...

I remember the part about the nurse. Love those entries.

Anonymous said...

Fighting with the deamons within again?

PK said...

Fighting?

No.

More of an alighting.

Re-riding, much as F. Scott famously said, being born ceaselessly into the past.

Ann said...

I'm sorry about Nancy. The only vision I have to associate with her is the one that you painted. Strong, cynical, mysterious and a very important person in your life . Do you realize that you carry her with you? Be thankful for that.

The supergoddess crud = a line in a Liz Phair song. I never know how to fill out the about me part. If I was honest I'd end up getting arrested ... Or something. (Hey! That was kind of catchy!)